Skincare formulated for Oily skin
Have you ever noticed how there’s an extra shine to your skin when you look in the mirror? Our Bare Addiction range has been specifically formulated for oily skin. Our products are all dermatologically approved. With soothing ingredients and oil control this range is perfect for tween, teen and twenty-somethings skin.
All of us have oil under our skin which is where the sebaceous (oil) gland resides right under our skin pores to produce sebum or natural oils. This is necessary for keeping the skin hydrated, smooth and healthy.
Causes of oily skin
Some teens and adults have overactive sebaceous glands which causes the skin to produce too much oil, and therefore, lead to oily skin. Here are some of the factors that can lead to oily skin:
- Oily skin can often surface as a result of using the wrong products for your specific skin type.
- Your skin’s pores can stretch out and become enlarged which means larger pores tend to produce more oil than usual.
- People living in hot and humid climates tend to have oilier skin, particularly during summer.
- If either one of your parents have oily skin, for example, it’s quite likely that you’ll have it too.
- A lack of hydration and moisturisation causes the skin to produce extra oil just to survive.
The signs and symptoms of oily skin
While it’s not too hard to know if you have oily skin, here are a few signs you want to look for apart from just admiring the shiny texture of your skin:
- Very large and apparent pores on the skin
- Occasional or persistent pimples
- Skin that’s rough to the touch or looks thick
- Clogged pores and blackheads
- A shiny or greasy texture (the most obvious one)
- Changing hormone levels
- High levels of stress
People with oily skin generally find it trickier to know which makeup and skincare products to use. Furthermore, oily skin symptoms and severity may vary from person to person. And as mentioned before, genetics can also affect how apparent these symptoms are.
How to deal with oily skin
While there may not be a “get rid of oily skin forever” remedy, there are certainly things you can do to manage it effectively, irrespective of your age, genetics, the climate in your area, or stress and hormone levels. These include:
- A gentle cleanser twice a day is all you need to reduce excessive sebum buildup, along with any dirt or pollutants which may be clogging the skin.
- When choosing skincare products, always make sure you see the word “noncomedogenic” or “lightweight” on the label.
- A very simple way to avoid overly oily skin and breakouts is to remove makeup before going to bed.
- A lack of rest can lead to insulin resistance and in turn, this can cause the skin to produce more sebum so get lots of rest!
- Sometimes oily skin can be caused by your skin not being moisturised enough, so make sure you moisturise after cleansing. Use products that mattify skin or are low in oils.